Learn here how to deal with life threating skin rashes.
And it is equally true that skin rashes are life threating in some cases. Such skin rashes are rare, but when they appear, you need medical assistance immediately.
Generally, these dangerous rashes are caused by allergic reactions, infections and disorders linked with immune system.
Life threating skin rashes occur in following skin conditions:
- Pemphigus vulgaris (PV)
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS)
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN)
- Toxic shock syndrome (TSS)
- Staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome (SSSS)
- Meningococcal septicaemia
- Dermatitis herpetiformis
These conditions cause a large rash on the skin surface.
Even worse, these rashes occur on the mucous membranes like mouth, nose, urethra, vagina and eyes. On these surfaces, rashes can turn into blisters filled with fluid. However, blisters in some areas are not visible, as they may rapture fast, especially in the mouth.
When to think that Skin Rash is Life Threatening?
- Extensive blisters
- Extensive peeling of skin
- Mucous membrane involvement
- Purpuric or petechial lesions
- High fever and erythema
- Severe pain that seems to be out of proportion to the physical examination
How to Deal with Life Threatening Skin Rashes?
While immediate medical assistance is important, you need to take care of such skin rashes with some self-management steps given here.
- Don’t pick your blisters
- Cover blisters with clean sheets or gauze
- Do not apply ointments on blisters
- Avoid peel of the loose skin when they break open
- Always consult doctor before treating the rashes
- Don’t use eye drops of any sort without consulting your doctor
- Use towels soaked in lukewarm water to give a compress to the parts that don’t have blisters.
- Take acetaminophen to control the fever
- Don’t use oral rinses or mouth washes of any sort
- Take water to stay hydrated
Treatment for life threatening skin rashes may require a prolong hospital stay. In fact, a patient may be shifted to ICU for closer monitoring. Severe and large blisters are treated as a thermal burn. IV fluids are also given to redeem the loss of water from the body. Immune system of the body may be suppressed by your doctorin order to control its “tendency” to harm itself in such conditions. You may be prescribed mouthwashes and numbing medicines to ease oral blisters by your doctor.
So this is all about life threatening skin rashes and the ways to control them. Always consult your physician when in doubt.